Do you know that there can be dangerous electrical hazards hiding inside your home?
Can you do anything to keep your family members safe from them?
Electricity has brought convenience to humanity, however, there are also hazards associated with it, which we shouldn’t ignore. Let’s read on to learn more about it.
8 Dangerous home electrical hazards
Be aware of these dangerous home electrical hazards so you can fix and avoid them from harming your family.
Faulty and defective electrical wirings
Faulty and defective electrical wirings can easily cause fire, arc faults, and electrical surges.
Given these, it’s important to hire a qualified electrician to regularly check and ensure your wirings are in good condition. They are trained to detect possible electrical issues that can put your family at risk and fix it right away.
Other hazards that are related to electrical wirings are:
- Defective appliances
- Overheated wire cords
- Wires chewed by rodents
- Cracked or open wiring insulations
- Improper electrical connections
- Worn out extensions cords
- Pinched wires
Should you see any electrical wiring issues, it’ll be best to refrain from doing it yourself and call a licensed electrician to handle the job for you. This way, you can ensure that your electrical issues are in the hands of a professional. You’ll also be able to avoid getting hurt from accidentally getting in contact with open wires.
Powerboards and extension cords
No matter what age or style of house you have, you may not have had enough power points installed, and most likely you are using an extension cord around your home. This is considered as one of the dangerous electrical hazards in the home.
You might trip over it and hurt yourself. It’s also prone to overloading and overheating if you are using it with more than 2 appliances at once. Extension and powerboards are not permanent solutions or an alternative for an additional power source. There’s a high chance of electrical overloading on these things.
If you need additional outlets in certain areas of your home, it’ll be best to talk to your local electrician and let them properly install additional outlets for you.
Covered electrical wirings
Covered electrical wirings are prone to overheating and can result in an electrical fire. Keep your cords free and away from things that cover them and cause overheating. Make sure they’re clutter-free with proper air circulation.
You might be surprised to read lightbulbs as one of the dangerous home electrical hazards; But, unfortunately, improper placement of lightbulbs, such as lamps are hazardous for your home. Lightbulbs that are near flammable materials such as drapes, plastics, and upholstery can cause a fire.
Make sure to check the placement of your lightbulbs to avoid this. Should you need to replace a lightbulb, be sure to turn off the switch first so you won’t get electrocuted. Keep in mind to also use the correct wattage to prevent chances of overheating and blowing up of lightbulbs.
Outlets installed near water areas
Outlets installed in areas where water is present such as the following are also a dangerous home electrical hazard.
Outlets in these areas must be placed with a safe distance, far away, as much as possible form the water source. Water is a good electricity conductor. To avoid electric shocks, make sure to keep outlets away from water sources.
You should never handle any electrical appliances, electrical wirings, electrical cords, and electrical outlets with wet hands. Remember, people are electrical conductors, same with water. So holding any electrical items with a wet hand is dangerous. It can only heighten your chances of getting electrical shocks.
Young children such as toddlers and babies are great explorers. Therefore, their possibility of exploring your outlets is real. For this reason, taking extra safety measures is a must to protect them.
It’ll be best to put a cover on electrical outlets that are within their reach. You may also put away extension cords from their sight. This way, you can protect them from getting injured.
Water on electrical fires
Water on electrical fires is a big NO NO. If you’re thinking that electrical fire is the same with flaming fire, they’re not. Water is a good electrical conductor, so using water to put out electrical fires will only worsen the situation. The electricity may also run to you as we’re also an electrical conductor and electrocute you.
So, in case an electrical fire happens, keep in mind not to use water on it. Instead, use a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. However, if you don’t have one in your home, it’ll be best to shut off your electrical power, go out of the house and call the fire department immediately.
Want to make your family safer from these dangerous home electrical hazards? Install a safety switch or a residual current device (RCD) at your home. However, refrain from doing these on your own. It’s both dangerous and illegal. Rather, call a licensed electrician to do it for you.
If you see any of these electrical hazards at your home, call an electrician to fix them immediately. Don’t just sit there and wait for a family member getting electrocuted before acting upon it. Call us now and we’ll help you.
Electrical switchboards are the heart of the electrical operation of any home. However, they can become outdated especially with the growing electrical requirements of various families at home. Therefore, it’s important to know if it is already time for a switchboard...
Do you know that your lights have a significant effect on the aesthetics and ambience of your house? So, whether you’re renovating your home or planning a new build, here are our 7 tips that will help you on how to plan the right lighting for your home. ...
Spring cleaning has been a tradition if not a habit for most households in Queensland. So if you are also planning to do a spring clean soon, you might want to include these 5 electrical maintenance you can do by yourself. Test Your Smoke Detector Smoke...
Being a homeowner can be both exciting and frustrating at the same time. It is exciting because a house is one of the most expensive investments one can have; but it can also be frustrating because of the many things you have to attend to. Among those things that you...
Your circuit breaker is an important element in your home’s electrical power system. It serves as a safety device that trips off when too much electric current passes through it. When a circuit breaker trips, your home’s electrical system will shut off, causing an...
The ongoing pandemic forced many of us to work from home. Although it sounds like a good and safe idea, the reality of working from home is far from pretty, especially with a very slow internet connection. This is not to mention recurring computer malfunctions that...
Have you ever woken up in the middle of a hot summer night because the AC stopped working? Have you ever experienced watching your favourite television show when suddenly, the power was out? Or have you arrived home from work to find out that your fridge was defrosted...
Have you noticed how our lives are so dependent on electricity? How can we survive a long summer without our ACs? Where do we store our foods without the fridge? How do we move around the house at night without the lights? Most of the appliances we cannot live without...
The hottest season is in full swing and everyone is trying their best to keep their cool. We understand how tempting it is to just turn on your air conditioner, because, honestly, that’s the more convenient thing to do. But doing so may also result in an increased...
When was the last time you’ve had your electrical system checked? Is your home prepared for a summer electrical storm? Are you aware of the important things to get ready? Let us help by showing you here what to prepare before a summer electrical storm hits. Read on....